May 7, 2019
This is goodbye. That's right, I'm saying farewell. (For now, that is :) It will probably come as no surprise to many of you that I've been building a house in Durango, CO for the last few months. And the goal was always to take off Summer 2019 to be there with my family to enjoy Colorado. So this is goodbye and see you later.
Do you wish you could take an entire summer off? You can! But only when you get yourself out of the day to day operations and establish yourself as the agency CEO. Let your team do the client-facing work, sales, and deliverables. And transition yourself from agency owner to agency CEO.
As a CEO, you have 5 primary roles, which are:
1. Set the vision and communicate it to your team. Who are you going after? What's your "why"? What are your core services? Give your team the ammunition they need to execute on your behalf. They can do that if they understand the vision.
2. Be the face of the agency. Your prospects need to associate your brand with a personality. That's the best way to grow your agency. It's got to be you - not an employee. It must be tied to the owner.
3. Coach and mentor leadership team only. Don't have everyone reporting to you and relying on you for mentorship. When you just mentor your leadership team you can empower them to successfully mentor the layer(s) beneath them.
4. Understand the financials. Know where your financial opportunities exist and have a handle on NET profit rather than just gross revenue. Gross doesn't mean anything if your profitability is out of whack.
5. Assist sales. You should not be doing all the sales, but you can add color to key sales conversations. Let your sales team set things up and get all the people in the room. You just add a little flavor by being there.
Now, when you have all this in place and you're only operating these 5 roles you too can take off big chunks of time. Your sales pipeline won't dry up and your team will be able to make decisions without you. Sounds dreamy, right? I'll be honest when you reach this point it might actually feel depressing that people don't need you as much as they used to be. But trust me, this is a good thing!
Will you miss me this summer? I'm still working with my 1-on-1 clients and mastermind groups. Check it out: http://DigitalAgencyElite.com
In the meantime, comment below and tell me what changes you can make in order to transition from agency owner to agency CEO?
Thanks for watching. I hope you keep up with the daily videos I post on my channel. Make sure you subscribe and share your learnings with others. Your comments are why I do this, so please take a second and say hello.
JASON SWENK IS AN AGENCY ADVISOR THAT GUIDES MARKETING AGENCIES THROUGH A PROVEN FRAMEWORK FOR GROWING THEIR AGENCY FASTER & EASIER.
Fresh out of college Jason was off to work for Arthur Anderson,
one of the big 5 consulting firms. He quickly realized that he
could never work for anyone other than himself. He decided to
change direction, launch a digital agency that quickly grew to a
multi-million dollar operation working with brands such as
AT&T, Hitachi and Lotus Cars. After 12 years of steady growth,
the agency caught the attention of bigger agencies and Jason sold
it in 2012.
Now, Jason leads http://JasonSwenk.com, a unique media company & consultancy helping marketing agencies grow & scale their agencies faster by applying the framework that he used to grow, scale and eventually sell his agency. Jason has helped over 10,000 agencies in 23 countries meet or exceed their business goals.
Jason currently hosts two shows that are available for download…
The Smart Agency Master Class Podcast, dedicated to providing tactics and strategies to agency owners and decision makers that cut through the BS, focus on exactly what works and what doesn’t; and
SwenkToday a weekly VLOG that documents the entrepreneur journey of building another multimillion-dollar business, where he shares the latest strategies and answers the most burning questions entrepreneurs have.
TUES VLOG #SwenkToday
Q&A from my digital agency audience
Ask me A Question
(Digital Agency Interviews)
Follow me here:
Music by epidemicsound.com